Halloween is just around the corner and in the spirit of the season, you might want to book a night at a haunted hotel or visit a place known for its paranormal activity.
If so, you will need equipment to capture the sights and sounds of your adventure as well as scientific devices to help you demystify or save your discoveries.
Ghost Hunting Gear on a Budget:
1. Video camera – I would say the first piece of equipment you need is a video camera. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise? It’s the same with ghost hunting, if you are in a place where you experience paranormal activity and you don’t document it, has it really happened? You don’t have to hunt ghosts at night, but if you want to every now and then, you need a budget video camera with night vision.
2. A digital voice recorder – The most common evidence that most hunters get from paranormal activity is noises. You could catch the “Lightning in a Bottle” ghost hunt and get a Class A Executive Vice President (electronic vocal phenomena) answering your question or just picking up all the scary sounds you hear on the spot.
3. Electromagnetic field reader – Many scientists in the field of ghost hunting believe that spirits are made of electromagnetic energy. If you hear and see a lot of paranormal activity where you are, take out the EMF meter to scan the location. It could give you scientific action to back up your findings.
4. Night vision tracking camera – I have seen many ghost hunters use motion-activated night surveillance cameras in “hot spots” around a location to debunk or capture evidence to support their case. I have linked the mini versions so that it is easier to pack in your kit and takes up less space.
5. Infrared temperature gun – It is believed in the field of ghost hunting that when a spirit tries to manifest (you can see it with your own eyes), the temperature there will drop significantly. When you experience cold spots in a room, you can record the temperature change between the cold spot and the rest of the location.
The items above are the perfect combination for a budget ghost hunting kit. If you want to spend more money and get more items for your kit, check out the gear below:
6. Pod REM – We talked earlier in the article about the idea that spirits are made up of electromagnetic energy. Ghostbusters use the REM Pod in several ways. It can be used to detect high electromagnetic fields and temperature changes in a place. It will alert you when changes occur with different lights and sounds depending on the strength of the change. It can also be used to communicate with spirits by asking them to turn on the lights on the REM Pod to answer questions.
7. Spirit Box – The Spirit Box is used to communicate with spirits. It scans radio frequencies at a very high rate to create a frequency of white noise that many believe in the area of ghost hunting is the same frequency through which spirits can speak. Be careful with this piece of equipment, Zak Bagans of Ghost Adventures says communicating with spirits in this way can be dangerous.
8. Infrared camera – With this device you can see all the different heat signatures of the location. We talked earlier about how it is believed that when a spirit tries to manifest itself, the temperature will drop around it. Also, if you hunt at night, it might help you see something in the distance that your eyes are playing tricks on you.
Finally, if you’re looking for a kit that you can get all the basics with in one purchase, check out the Ghost Hunting Gear Kits below:
Happy ghost hunting and be sure to share with us any evidence you capture so we can write an article about you on our website and mobile app.