In a sign of the age of modern gaming, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 will be widely playable weeks before release as early access beta sessions begin to roll out.
However, in true Call of Duty style, there’s not just one beta, but four sessions depending on your platform of choice and whether you’ve pre-ordered.
It can get a bit confusing, so we’ll explain everything below, but the bottom line is that while everyone will eventually join for free, if you want to play as soon as possible, you’ll want to consider pre-ordering.
It will also give you more time to unlock some of the nifty new beta rewards that have now been announced. So, as the MW2 betas begin, here are the times and how you can get one of the most important codes.
When is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 beta?
The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta period will begin on September 16, 2022, Activision has confirmed. However, players will be able to download the beta from September 14.
This first beta of CoD Modern Warfare 2 will start at 6:00 p.m. BST for players here in the UK, as will all subsequent sessions.
There will be four different sessions in the MW2 beta, and they will run as follows:
- September 16 to September 17 – early access beta on PlayStation
- September 18 to September 20 — open beta on PlayStation
- September 22 to September 23 – early access beta begins on Xbox and PC, while open beta continues on PlayStation
- September 24 to September 26 — open beta on PC, Xbox and PlayStation
“Early Access” sessions will only be available to select players (more on that in a bit), while “Open Beta” sessions will be freely available to everyone on those platforms.
How to Get Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Beta Codes
To get a code for the early access beta periods, simply pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on your platform of choice. You should receive a code in time to start playing.
Activision will also be giving away MW2 beta codes at select Call of Duty events ahead of the beta period, and we also expect prominent YouTube/Twitch CoD stars to give out codes. However, the only way to guarantee a code is to pre-order the game!
CoD Modern Warfare 2 is available to order from GAME, Amazon, and most other game retailers, and our handy widget should bring you the latest deals below.
Those who pre-order the Vault Edition will also be able to redeem their additional content in the beta – which includes the Red Team 141 Operator Pack and the FJX Cinder weapon.
Does the progress carry over from the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 beta?
No, Activision has confirmed that the progress will not carry over to the main game. However, 10 exclusive cosmetic rewards will be available to unlock and will carry over to the full version – the full list of beta rewards includes:
More like this
- Emblem: “Smashed It” – Level 2 operator
- Charm: “Buckle your seatbelt” – Operator Level 4
- Player Cards: “Test Passed” – Operator Level 6
- Sticker: “Operation First Blood” – Operator level 10
- Weapon Blueprint: “Side Impact” – Operator Level 15
- Operator Skin: “Collision” – Operator level 18
- Vinyl: “No competition” – Operator level 19
- Sticker: “Safety First” – Operator level 21
- Vehicle Skin: “Floor It” – Operator level 26
- Weapon Blueprint: “Frontal Impact” – Operator level 30
Follow Radio Times Gaming on Twitter for all the latest information. Or if you’re looking for something to watch, check out our TV guide.
Visit our video game release schedule for all the games coming to consoles. Drop by our hubs for more gaming and tech news.
The latest issue of Radio Times magazine is on sale now – subscribe now and get the next 12 issues for just £1. For more from TV’s biggest stars, listen to the Radio Times podcast with Jane Garvey.